Thursday, June 26, 2008

Working with these "Corny Cooks" at Girls Camp!

This picture was taken last year!

This has been one of my highlights this summer so far! I had the privledge of working with Phyliss Mason, Debbie Harker, Launi Mahaffey, Lisa Boudilla Anita and John Farrell. These women(first three) have been the cooks for the last 18 years for Pasco Stake Girls Camp! They are the hardest workers I have ever seen!(besides my mother)
The duties of a COOK:
They plan meals for one week for 250 girls and leaders! Before camp starts....they spend an entire day buying the food. This is a lot of work! Buy it, pack it into the cars. Take it home and unpack it and organize it. I hate shopping for food. The worst thing is packing and unpacking! Then, making sure you have bought everything and enough! These women just do it like it is nothing! So, the morning we left...we had to stop again in Yakima and go shopping for more food! We got to Camp Zarahemla and unloaded everything and then organized it in the kitchen, coolers and pantry! It is alot of food! As soon as we are finished with that....we need to fix a nice dinner for 60 girls and stake leaders. The first day, I was exhausted! We arose each morning to divide meals for each wards and then cook a meal for the stake! After breakfast, you start preparing for the next two meals. After the meals are done, you prepare for the breakfast the next morning! Oh yeah, forgot to add in washing the dishes! I was dead by the end of the day!
It is hard work.....but for a good cause! Those girls need to realize and be grateful for the love Heavenly Father and the leaders have for them to enable this camp to happen! A lot of money and time spent to enrich the girls fun, learning and spiritual self!
My favorite thing about this whole experience was to be around this women and see their real selfs! I was surprised to see.... the other side of Phyliss Mason. She is the funniest person I have ever met! She is a blast! When you get these three women together they bring up jokes on each other from all the 18 camps before! I haven't laughed this much in a long time!
At this girls camp each ward does a "Ditty"(a cute chant or song) every morning! The cooks, stake leaders and the Manley Men(priesthood) also do one! That is one of the highlights about camp! Some of the wards come up with clever "ditties"! We sang "I can bring home the bacon..." while we were swirling our apron strings and holding a frying pan! We also sang a song about "Corny Cooks" to the Brady Bunch theme during the Tent Mom luncheon. I left a day early...and the cooks skit will include them riding on skooters while singing "Can't rollerskooter in a buffalo herd" I wish I could've been there to do it with them!
I hope to go again.....and bring Ms. Molly along with me! Even though it was hard work....it was worth it! Lots of fun!
(The reason why I had to leave early was to hold my husbands hand while getting a little procedure done...to prevent anymore "Hatchlings". It went well! We have been laying aroung watching movies all day!)

11 comments:

Jan said...

Oh my gosh Kristen. You were with some of the best. That sounds like a riot. You lucky girl. That is alot of work. You are simply amazing. Glad your back and all went well.. Wish I could have heard all those camp stories.

Amy J. said...

Boy do I feel like I got the raw end of the deal! 20+ years ago we were at good ole Teancum Timbers in tents and on the last year of my girl camp experience we had showers. We had to cook all our own food! Molly, Heather you can all attest to what I am saying! I remember lashing a toothbruch holder to a tree. My how times change!

Heather said...

Oh you are making me miss it!!! And I was THIS close to choosing this template also. I love it!

Deborama said...

How fun! I have never been to girls camp even as a girl so I can't wait for it! Sounds so fun! That picture was awesome! HOpe your husband feels better.

rip said...

My girls have been talking my ear off since they got home. They said over and over how great the food was. They loved the cooks ditties and skits. So, this mom says a hearty THANK-YOU.

Debie Spurgeon said...

What a fun week you've had. I am exhausted listening to your schedule.

Little hatchlings? That's cute! Little Spurglings doesn't have the same ring to it.

Washington Rimmasch Family said...

I'm so glad you had such a great time! My mom said you were WONDERFULL as usual:) I have to say camp sounds like it has gotten nice and coushy . I may have been just a couple of years behind Amy but we totally still had to tie our toothbrush holder to the tree! YUCK.You are AWSOME!!! I am trying to get ahold of Jessica to set up a playdate for next week and it just wouldn't be the same w/o you are you game? call me my friend.

Washington Rimmasch Family said...

Um I'm not sure how I missed the last part but oh my, you are too funny! I hope your hunk O' burning Love is back to his old self minus a bit in no time ;) until then enjoy those uninterrupted movies girl!!

tharker said...

The cooks at Camp Z. are the best! And the ditties...always hilarious!

No more "Hatchlings". You are SO funny!

Lisa Christine said...

All the years that I went to girls camp growing up, I never gave much thought to who was planning, or preparing the food. So much work! I have a new found appreciation :)

Girls camp is such a fun memory of my youth.

Anonymous said...

People should read this.