Monday, November 17, 2008

Thankful Month continues.......

My Preschool Thankful Turkey.................it's time time reflect.
I am so thankful for my primary experience. We just finished our program. It was a rocky Sat. practice. Aren't they always? Sunday program was SUPERB!! The children did so well! All of them memorized their part. The songs were wonderful! Sis. Christensen did herself proud. She taught the kids "Called to Serve" sung in Italian, "I love to see the Temple" in Sign Lang. There were also special musical numbers, Quartet , solos and flute accomp.

Here they are.... Jessica and Heather in the background!
The Sunday before....practicing and pretend like we are in the chapel. Always crazy!




I am thankful the Primary Program went smoothly! I am mostly impressed with the two older classes. I have watched them grow up! They are so wonderful and such happy, helpful young adults. I love how they have learned each year, more and more about the Gospel of Jesus Christ.
I am so thankful for the teachers and my counselors and Sec. for all of their hard work. I appreciate the teachers that come every Sunday with no complaints. Truly sacrificing, which in turn will bring blessings.

My Dad (The guy with the white hair) May 2008


Today is my fathers' birthday.

My Father: "Dougie" as my mother calls him, "Daddy" is the name I call him and "Grandpa Doug or PaPa" is the name the grandkids call him. He has had many "names" throughout his life. But the one he has most fulfilled is "father". He has always been the father of my home as a child. And I am very THANKFUL. He is the provider, the nurturer, peacemaker, believer in Christ, giver, anchor of our family.


I wanted to tell a funny story about Dad when I lived at home.

He always fell asleep while watching t.v.,reading the newspaper, reading 10 books to me before bed AND even in the movie theater. (Usually he was sleep deprived.....because of working a full time job for the county and delivering papers from 1a.m. -6a.m.)and being the bishop, stake presidency or scout master)

If you woke him up.....he may respond in a silly "half-awake" way!


One night, when I was 18, after my date, the guy took me to the door. I tried to open it, but it was locked. I noticed the light on, hoping someone was still awake. I knocked again and again and finally my dad answered. He was standing there with his hair a flyin" and he handed me and my date a cup? Then.....he started vigorously shaking his hands back and forth! My date looked at me and I looked at him? What on earth was my dad on? I was so embarrassed...but started to laugh! I took my sweet dad inside and waved goodbye to my date! Good ol' Dad! (Unfortunately, I am a sleep walker/talker too)

He is so wonderful! Sometimes I have to remind myself not to compare Shane to him. Shane has said in the past, "No one can be as good as your Dad".

I love you Dad. I am thankful the Lord sent my to your family.
My mom and dad are coming for Thanksgiving. I am excited.
My nephew Petes' tumor is visabally reducing in size. Which is something to be thankful for!!!
Happy "Thanks"giving to you!



7 comments:

Kris said...

Cute Post Kristen. Sounds like you've been busy with everything. Glad you get your parents here for Thanksgiving and that your nephew is doing well. That's great news.

Amy said...

The Primary program was WONDERFUL. What a sweet post about your Dad! I loved the story.

tharker said...

The Primary Program turned out great! I'm always a bit worried at the Saturday practice because as you said, they're always crazy. But as usual, the program went off beautifully.

Happy Birthday to your dad. What a sweet tribute to him.

Heather said...

Your dad sounds great. The program was great, because I was trying hard not to cry and mess up the songs. :)

cate create said...

I was so impressed with how wonderful the primary program was, and how organized everything was. I pretty much cried of all my mascara. Thanks for all the time you put into it. You are so amazing and inspired. I know you really love my kids, and that is such a wonderful feeling!

Nola said...

I was laughing out loud when I read the story of grandpa opening the door to you and your date. So funny. I have heard that story so many times and laugh every time. Funny. Oh, I wish we could come up there for Thanksgiving too and get away. Glad to hear that the sacramentmeeting went well. Of course it did, you were in charge. Everything you do turns out great. Love ya!

Megs said...

Funny!!
Btw: OME!!! I TOTALLY LOVE TWILIGHT!!!! But Kristen Stewart wasn't good enough for me. Oh well, I just hope that she'll be better in New Moon. I'm so excited!! It's amazing to know that Twilight has been read by so many ppl. AWESOME.
Love ya, MeGs CuLLeN =]