Thursday, November 15, 2007

New Puppies for the Hatches and The Jenkins!!!

I don't know why I am so excited about these new puppies! Maybe it is because I can't have anymore of my own babies? I have been counting down the days for Goldie to have her babies! Dogs only have a 64 day gestation period! I have been reading up on dog breeding and delivery and now puppies! Goldie belongs to Jenkins! One night K called me and said her dog was in heat and wanted to breed her with Bear! So, here are four grown adults watching two dogs breed.....to see if Bear was really doing the job right! The first night....well we don't know what was going on?....it was dark...and we were trying to explain to our concerned children(under the age of 6)that Bear was just giving Goldie a hug! The Jenkins left....and took Goldie with them! All night long, Bear was going up and down the stairs smelling Goldie! He missed(or wanted) her! I called Kand asked her if Bears' girlfriend could come over to play again! Ha! Well, I was busy getting a talk ready and the kids came yelling to me that Bear was stuck to Goldie, and they couldn't get them apart!?!!!! I did not know what to do? I called my farm raised husband and told him to hurry home! That was a lesson to the entire two families! I guess that happens to animals who are breeding properly!!!! Ouchhh, is all I have to say!
So....that was in September....Goldie had her babies on Sunday, Novemeber 11th! K called me and my kids and I hurried over quickly! K is a nurse....so she had it handled! She had not slept for 24 hours and was so tired! I passed the instruments and cleaned up whatever the dog didn't!! Gross, I know! This dog was so calm.....no noise....just gentle pushes.....out came the pups! That is something I wanted my daughter to see.....I let her know that delivering a human hurt a lot more! It is something you want to do when you have a husband to be there with, to hold your hand!
You are wondering why there are no brown labs? Goldies' mother was a full breed black lab and her dad was a golden retiever! Bear is a full choc. lab. So, to get choc. labs.....there have to be a mom and a dad choc. lab! Black is the dominant color! So...that is why there are mostly black labs! Goldies golden puppy even looks more labby than her!
So......two black male labs are available after Christmas!

4 comments:

Bair Family said...

Stacy says, "Oooohhhhh... they are so cute!"
Mom says, "No Stacygirl, we already have a puppy!"

Adorable puppies... what's not to love about puppies!

tharker said...

First of all, the story about the breeding will NEVER get old to me! So stinking funny! Congrats to Goldie and Bear for procreating!

Jessica said...

I'm so glad you started a blog! You must tell me what family secrets Tia has told you, I'm sure they are all un-true as she LOVES telling stories! Ü LOL

I had no idea about the whole getting stuck together thing! TO FUNNY!!

Terilyn said...

Puppies??? Oh, K, you are sooooo brave. Great story - due to my "anti-animal" attitude, I think my kids will just have to learn about procreation the old fashioned way. Hee, hee, hee!