Friday, March 14, 2008

R-E-S-P-E-C-T!!!!!!

What every happened to respect these days? I am always so shocked when I am helping children and they turn around and smart mouth to me! I was helping in Katlyns' class a couple weeks ago and I politely told a sweet girl to put her pencil and books away (after her teacher repeatedly told the students)and get ready to go home! She turned around and said "I don't have to! You are not my teacher!" And then gave me that nasty glare! I was steaming!!! I then said..."I am a helper and I will not be spoken to that way!" Are children learning this from TV? Are they learning it from their parents, who in turn talk to thier children that way? Older siblings? I am so concerned and frustruated! I have caught my own children being sassy to me and other adults and I will not put up with it! "Let us all speak kind words to each other....at home or where're we may be!"

4 comments:

::lindsay said...

Oh, Kristen! I hear ya! I cannot believe how disrespectful kids are these days. Growing up, we were all taught to respect adults and I just don't think it's the norm anymore. It is just so sad.

Washington Rimmasch Family said...

I agree. I can hardly stand it! What makes me the most upset is when the parents act like their child can do no wrong instead of correcting them. That just tells the kids, limits and common courtesy don’t apply to them. Unfortunately manners are becoming more and more a thing of the past. If my kids ever disrespect you I hope you feel comfortable enough to put them in their little place!

Alicia Leppert said...

Hear, hear woman! I am soooo touchy about this. Growing up I wouldn't have dreamed of saying to adults what kids say today. And it's not just what they say, it's ignoring us when we tell them what to do. It infuriates me to no end. It scares me too. I just think parents put up with it. Everyone's so scared of "coming down too hard" on their kids and making them unhappy. It's ridiculous. Kids need authority and rules and boundaries and to know they don't rule the world. Ahem, calming down now.

tharker said...

I'm so with you on this one. I agree that parents just seem to put up with it now. I don't think that parents demand the respect of their children,or expect them to respect other adults near as much as they should. I am shocked to hear the way that some kids behave and treat adults. If my children ever act this way, you have my permission to put them in their place.