Saturday, July 19, 2008

When I was fourteen.....Saturdays were RAD!!!!


Me when I was fourteen! Gotta love the outfit and stance!!! My young women leader took this picture for something?

I have been thinking about my days as a teenager.......
*I loved MTV.....it is not like it is now?!!!
*I loved Madonna
*I loved Bannanaorama
*I loved Culture Club
*I loved Erasure
*I loved Depeche Mode
*Summer days spent at Hunnington or Balboa Beach with Linda (best girlfriend)
*Jaunts to Disneyland
*School was basically social time for me! Too bad! I could've learned a few things!
*I loved early morning seminary! I should've listened more!
*I loved mutual! Great friends!
*MOST OF ALL I LOVED SATURDAYS FOR TWO REASONS:
(After I got my chores done, which usually consisted of cleaning the two bathrooms!And my bedroom...which was always a mess!!!) If I hurried before noon........I watched this!!

AMERICAN BANDSTAND!
I had my favorite dancers....I loved to see new hairstyles, clothings and dance moves to prepare me for......The STAKE DANCES!!
My stake had the best dances...not only would we go to our stake....we would go to other stakes' dances. My friends would come over at least two hours before and we would trade outfits and fix each others' hair! Finally we were done primping and off we would go! Gotta have gum!!!! And have extra for the boys!
Back in the 80's girls still got asked by guys to fast dance! We never danced in a group, like they do now?! So....we would walk the perimeter to see what guys were there and stand in our "ask me" pose! We wouldn't stand too close to each other...spread out and look cute??? Until we all got asked!
Our stake would sometimes have a live band...which was soooooo fun! We would dance the night away! Then.....we would all go to "Bob's Big Boy" (JB'S) and have a Diet Coke and french fries! I would usually have to call parents for permission to extend my curfew! Those were the days! I had a fun guy friend that was a great dancer too! (But....now he likes to dance with boys?)

9 comments:

Heather said...

Wow, you really kicked up your heels. I love hearing these stories, and I'm cracking up about your friend who dances with boys. Who else would word it that way??

Washington Rimmasch Family said...

I have been waiting for an update and you did not disappoint I am totally Spazzing .
If I may say you were looking Bodacious:) I wish they held Dudical stake dances for the adults in the Here and Now. We would pull out our Gnarly moves and take it To The Max.I think we could show the Lame Brain Posers who think they know what a stake dance is all about how to get Legit! It would be all Scamming and Jamming like it was 1985 I Kid You Not. Later girl.

tharker said...

I am laughing so hard about your friend. You did word it so funny!

I LOVED this picture of you. I too had the permed square bob. It. was. awesome.

My two older step sisters used to watch American Bandstand every Saturday, and sometimes they even watched Soul Train! I used to love to watch those shows with them.

Ahh, good old stake dances. Good times, good times!

Niki's comment completely cracked me up!

Nicole said...

Too funny! I love your pic. It kinda matches mine:) We had the best stake dances too! I spent all day Saturday prepping for them. Those were the days!

Debie Spurgeon said...

I love the outfit, the hair, the pose, the music, the memories of the 80's. My kids think I'm still stuck there, my musical preferences definately are.

dandee said...

This is a fun post! I love hearing stories [with pictures] about people's childhoods.

LOVE the outfit! You were one stylin' YW!

ashley said...

What a good lookin babe! Fourteen was one of my "awkward" years, but you look great! That's funny about your friend, and great movie clip too! Those white boots (or are they shoes?) are really something!

Deborama said...

That picture is awesome! I love to hear everyone's memory lane, all you mormons had the same fun memories!! I was a rebel and watched solid gold and was going to be a solid gold dancer when I grew up!

Terilyn said...

I love to hear about your memories! I think I have blocked most of my teenage memories out because I was such a stinker! Hopefully, I have mended my ways! By the way, (because I have neglected my blog for so long) I haven't heard about Sara Nelson. Tell me!