Sunday, August 31, 2008

Back to School at the Hatch House 2008

Hunter starts Kindergarten! Teacher: Mrs. Siesmore
Dylan is the "big dude" on campus....8th grade. He is in ASB. Sometimes he likes it, but he is good at being a leader, so we make him do it!

Backpack and lunch box....we are ready! Cute Katie...always stylin'! 3rd grade and on the second floor! She has Ms. Simkins.
New preschool toy! Gotta love teeter tautters!
So, I am going to be honest in this post. I had a weird week. One a mother has to go through, but it is not fun.
It all started out with my preschool open house. That, actually, went well. Next year I may do things different with the "new" students and have the parents have a sit down discussion about the year. The older class came and had a fun scavenger hunt...and got reacquainted! Fun night! Those kids grow up fast, just in three months! I am looking forward to starting a new year! I know people think I am lying....I really do like my job! Serious!
I was asked two weeks ago to give a talk in sacrament meeting today! The topic was "Education in the Home". I usually don't worry about giving a talk...but for some reason, this topic is serious stuff! It is a constant job of teaching our children good manners, how to get along with each other, feeling confident about themselves, teaching them the Gospel, FHE, Family Prayer, loving school, finding their talents, excelling in their talents, feeding them healthy food, speaking to them in a positive voice....the list could go on! It is hard stuff!!!
So, the week before I give this talk, I screw up big time!!! Here is the story..... My oldest, Dylan, whom everyone adores, quit football! He played last year and endured it. He dreaded it all summer long, and went to two practices last week. He came home mad, sad, and hated the world!!! I told him that is how life is. We don't like things in life, but when we commit to something, you have to stick to it! So he goes to the next practice, he is still so mean and grumpy! Crying begins....."I don't like it, but I don't want to quit!!" I actually told him he has to make the choice. If he is going to be grumpy this whole season....then quit! I gave him the easy way out!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am so mad at myself for not standing strong! Yet, he is getting old enough now that I want him to make his own decision! I guess I wanted him to stick to it, I want him to do a sport and learn all that there is about football. I just feel sick inside thinking that my son quit! I know his football skills aren't going to take him far in life. He wouldn't get a scholarship. It is hard to see your children not do something you want them to do.
He felt terrible, but I told him all of his good qualities. He is a great leader, he does excellent in school, he plays the piano like nobodies business! He is very obedient! I guess I just need to let this go.......and roll with it!
My next parental issue....is Hunter. I have lived this before with Dylan. I know it will pass with age. But, everyday before school starts, Hunter is throwing up! Nerves....it does it to him every time there is a change! Should I feed him lunch before school...in minutes he will throw it up? He is going to be starving! So, once again, I teach my son the breathing techniques I learned as a child and what I taught Dylan. I took him to school Thursday, and he was standing in line to go in, and he started to do the gagging motions! I run him to the grass so he can "release" his nerves! I quietly go up to this brand new teacher and say...."My son throws up when he is nervous, so just tell him to run to the bathroom!" She looked at me, like, "Are you kidding?" Ummmm, no! He hasn't thrown up in his class.....but PLEASE have this end soon! Poor little guy!
So...."the sand of the hour glass" of raising boys with anxiety!!! I want them to be strong.......and I want them to succeed! They will, I know!! We all have our "things"! Just wanted to share my feelings! To get it off my chest! Isn't that is what blogging is for?
My talk went well. I didn't want to cry....but did!
I can go on.....parents make mistakes.....we do and say stupid things. I hope to teach more good things to my children than bad!
Cheers!!! To another week of parenting!!!!!!!!

14 comments:

::lindsay said...

It does sound like your week was trying. You are one good mama, Kristen!

Anonymous said...

Kristen-

Loved your talk and cried also! It is so true that our kids have their issues and we have ours. You know what mine are and with what kid, enough said. You are a great mom, friend, Primary president and preschool teacher. Keep on keeping on!
Kati

Anonymous said...

...and can't wait to have you teach Maija next fall...

Debie Spurgeon said...

Dylan is an awesome young man. I completely understand your feelings though. Whatever the end result is, you will make the right choices for your family.

Kris said...

Wow, you have had a rough week. It's hard to have our kids not do things that we want them to do. I'm still struggling with that. You handle things so well. I hope this week goes better for you. Oh and it was good to see you last night! Enjoy your pre-school year.

Rachael said...

I feel so bad for Hunter! I hope he adjusts soon! As for Dylan and football, you know what, DON'T SWEAT IT! He tried, there is nothing wrong with deciding something is making you miserable, and deciding to stop. I think the thing you should focus on with that situation, is that he knew he could talk to you about it. And, once he made the decision he knew you would support him. You are a wonderful example. Have a great year with my nephews!

Jan said...

You are doing a great job. Don't you get sick over this Kristen. He doesn't sound like a quitter to me. He sounds successful in a lot of great areas. Great kid. He might get back on board when he is ready again. It's not to late.

Throwing up. Boy I relate to Hunter big time. For me, it started in 1st grade. Every single time at lunch, I would throw up. The kids teased me like nobodies business. I don't like crowds. I never have. I still get sick to my stomache, but now can handle the throwing up. I literally ate in the office with the secretary for 4 yrs. in Elementary School. Its a real feeling. And you handled it great. I wish that it didn't have to be that way for him. I hope he gets over it. Not to be a unhopeful person, but I have yet to conquer the fear of gatherings.

You are a great mother.

Terilyn said...

You are an awesome person and Mom! It is so hard to let our kids make their own choices - even when they are the ones we wouldn't make (and therefore, have to be wrong). :)
They learn, they fail, they grow - it's better now that they live at home with the "safety net" of their family then out in the real world where they truly can screw up their lives and others as well.

I have always enjoyed my kids more and more as they were getting older. I remember saying about every year when Tyler was young - "This is the best year with him." I still say that. I love that they use their own little minds and figure stuff out. They will succeed if they can make their own choices and are able to deal with the consequences - good or bad.

One year Jeremy took Gymnastics. He finished football and was really enjoying the sport of Gymnastics. I mean - he can do a back handspring without a running start - awesome!!! We met up with some football buddies of his in the mall one day and as I am talking to the parents, I overhear Jeremy's conversation (only a mom can have a conversation and listen to a kid's conversation at the same time) as the boys ask him what he had been up to in the off season. When he told them gymnastics those boys snickered and looked at each other. I thought for sure Jeremy would be embarrassed! But he wasn't. Gymnastics was something he wanted to do so it didn't matter what anyone else thought. He didn't even tell him about his back handspring talents. I was never so proud.

Kids can grow up to be awesome people. Your kids are definately on their way!

Man, that was a long comment!

Jessica said...

Wow you have had a hard week! I agree with eveyone else you are an awsome Mom! I could tell that from the first day I met you, hang in there!

tharker said...

Your talk was great Kristen. I thought it was very personal, and heartfelt. Thank you!

I'm sorry you had a rough week. But you are doing a great job. Your boys (and girl!) are all wonderful children who are talented and smart. I think it's actually a great thing that you let Dylan make the choice on this one. He will learn from this experience, and to me, that is what really matters in the end.

You ARE doing a great job!!

Heather said...

Loved the talk and I love even more your candidness (probably not really a word) with your parenting. I think you are great and doing a great job. Your kids reflect that.

Deborama said...

Wow that is hard! We are the worst parents, Scott paid Austin to stick out the first year of football. :( Austin did it with the promise that he wouldn't be bothered this year with it. So we have had to keep our mouths shut when he says "no football thanks" He did stick it out that first year. but we always say once they at least try it then they can decide for themselves. ??? Im sorry about your boys nerves! That is so sad it would break my heart. Your amazing and thank heavens tomorrow is so close because Avery is driving me crazy, WHEN can I go to preschool? Today? later today? at 3? today?

PRP said...

I know how hard it is but I think you did the right thing. He is old enough to make his own decisions, and if his heart wasn't in it, it was time to change. I just went through the same thing with Hannah and ballet and it nearly killed me!

Best wishes to Hunter!

Andre said...

Dylan is my favorite kid. He's a great example to those other deacons. I know we parents worry, but Dylan's the best! You are too!