Friday, January 18, 2008

I am done having a pity party for myself....Thanks for all of you that joined in!

Happy Martin Luther King Day!

Thanks to you all who joined in on my pity party! I am fine now! Things are great! Everything is wonderful.....time to move on! I learned from this experience and can roll with it!

I wanted to tell you how cute my preschool kids were today! I talked about Martin Luther King Jr. to the class. Of course, they had no idea who he was! I was thinking...I do you explain to 4 and 5 year old about diversity? I told them that everyone is a different color! Brown, white, yellow, black! But, we need to all be treated the same! There once was a time when they didn't let certain color of skin in the store, on the bus, .....etc. etc.! They all had a sad look on their face! Like they couldn't believe their ears! Then one little boy looked down at his skin and said "My skin is red!" Innocent! So innocent!

None of us know how they felt before the 60's! I am grateful for these strong spirits that the Lord has sent on the earth today! I am grateful for men, like MLK Jr. for his strength! Let's teach our children, no matter how different we may look from each other, or we may have different beliefs or feelings....we are all children of God!

Happy 3 Day Weekend!


6 comments:

Alicia Leppert said...

Your post warmed my heart. The last two years Macy has come home after learning about MLK Jr. and the absolute innocence, the total incomprehension of why there was segregation....I just wish so badly it could stay that way forever. Yay for you for teaching those kids such an important lesson and thanks for sharing your feelings about such a great man.

tharker said...

I don't think we can stress the principle enough to our children. I want my children to know that we are ALL good enough, no matter what our differences may be.

Every time I read something about your preschool, or hear you talk about it, I get that much more excited for Jake to be a part of it next year. I've felt sure that I've wanted him there, and this post is EXACTLY why. I know that you will treat him the same way and love him with the same itensity that you do all of your students, and your example will translate to the children, and I know that he will love it.

Sorry, how's that for pressure :)

♥miss~mattie♥ said...

Sis. Hatch. Thanks for your comment on my blog. I really enjoyed it.

Marilyn said...

Unconditional love. That's what it's all about to me.

Thanks for reminding us!

Washington Rimmasch Family said...

We have such a rainbow of color in our family. This issue is just so important in general but we feel very blessed to live in this day and age. My kid's just have no concept of how that could have ever been different. This last week brought a lot of conversation to the table we have never had. Thank you for teaching the kids so well that Kippi was able to put in her two cents and understand at her level what the rest of us were talking about. I am so grateful to you for that. You are such an amazing teacher and I really admire that about you.

Terilyn said...

Thanks for teaching them such important lessons. It makes me sad to think that some others think they are better than others. Like I tell my kids - Jesus says love everyone. He loves us - all of us!