Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Going home to the place where you were raised...is like visiting an old friend!

<****Warning****Journal entry of our trip******Detailed and long****For Posterity**
We made it! Ten days of fun and four days of driving! It was a fun filled adventure.....and a trip my kids never will forget! With us living so far from family....my children appreiciate it more! They savor each enviroment, experience and each family member! Even though we spent most of our tax return on the trip...It is money well spent!

I can remember 14 years ago....the morning of my wedding...when I was scared to death to get married....one thing I remember my mother saying to me...."Think how lucky your children will be, they will have the best of both worlds!" This trip reminded me of my moms' wise words, as we traveled across the plains. My kids get to experience the "Ranch" way of life and they get to experience "California" and all the entertainment that is available! They are very lucky! They love both places in different ways!

So....I thought I would post first about our visit to California!


Cousins! Hunter, Andrew and Sydney ....Three Musketeers!!!

As soon as we pulled into Redlands, Ca. I got this feeling...like, it was yesterday, that I was there as a child and teenager! Weird! I am an adult now! Everything was overgrown and older.....but the same..... it was like visiting an old friend! A good feeling of good memories! This was the place were I grew to be the person I am today!
We stayed at my parents house. This in not the house that I was raised in! My two youngest kids don't get it! "My kids asked....Which room was yours', Mom?" I would say..." No, I was not raised in this huge house with a built in pool and massive backyard!" I had to show them the house that I was raised in! We had a "DoughBoy" swimming pool and had to share rooms! The grandkids can now benifit from my Dad and Mom's hard work throughout the years!
I love the smell of the city of Redlands... orange blossoms, pollution, hot air! It is the smell of home! I love the palm trees, all the traffic, different races, stucco houses, our beautiful temple!
I attended the ward that I grew up in! Some people recognized me! Yeah, I have gained some (alot) of weight! My brother is in the bishopric now, and it is fun to see him up on the stand! The funniest thing was, the same lady that was the organist when I was a child, is still today! That must be her eternal calling on this earth! She recognized me! It was fun to visit with old friends!
So...my parents are on a 2 year mission. They will be done this Sept. They serve as the Public Affairs Representatives for the LA district. Their office is located on the temple grounds. They live about 1 1/2 hours away from LA. They get to go home on the weekends and serve during the week. It was fun to visually see where they serve!
We headed to LA with them on Sunday and Dylan was educated with the local GRAFFITI that was plaserted all over the LA freeways!Yuck!
The LA temple is so big and beautiful! It is breathtaking! It was built in the 1950's! It is special to me...that is were I recieved my endowments before my mission! There are several other buildings on the grounds, mission home, huge apartment complex that houses those who are serving in the temple! We were able to stay in one apartment while we were there.
Mom and Dad's apartment is so small! Mom had it decorated with her stuff! One benifit for couple missionaries....you can have a T.V.! I caught "Dancing with the Stars" while we were there! Can't miss that!
I felt a strong appreciation for Mom and Dad serving these last 20 months! It is hard work, working all day on organizing benifits and functions to enable the missionary work to go forth! Driving back and forth from LA to Yucaipa is hard too! They ain't no spring chickens' anymore!
My oldest brother and his family met us at Universal Studios,(more photos of that day to come) where we enjoyed their company and learned about the "Movies"! They were filming "Desperate Housewives and Ghost Whisperer" on the lot! Fun new rides..."Jurassic Park", "The Mummy", and a great water park (children get soaked) called "Curious George!"
We went to dinner at the "Farmers' Market" and spotted our first movie star....the dad from "Juno"...I forgot his name? I guess the stars like to hang out their cause' they don't get harrassed! He was with his teenage son and enjoying dinner himself! Later on, while in Utah...I saw.....an Osmond brother!!! Don't be shocked!
The next day.....DISNEYLAND
The sad thing for me, is it isn't the same Disneyland I was raised with! They totally took out the old parking lot and created California Disney! It looks so different! I used to close my eyes and point in the direction I wanted to go! I knew it that well! Now...it is bigger and better! We got a room at the "Paradise Pier Resort" and walked to Disneyland. We couldn't afford to go to Calif. Disney...who has time....when you just have one day! New rides: Nemo sub. ride! Cute! The best thing I loved about our visit....was seeing it in my 5 yr. olds' eyes! He has been there, but as a baby! This was his first time.....Disneyland has the magical touch! Hunter loved everything!
My youngest brother met us there with his two girls. Our favorite ride: "Splash Mountain"
This was the day before Katlyns' birthday...so we treated as her birthday celebration! She was sung to by Lilo and Stitch.....for breakfast! Very cute!




By the end of our fun filled day of walking, riding and eating....we were tired! This is Hunter on the bottom of the elavator....lying on the ground exhausted! What a day!
The next day...we were off to Utah~!!

8 comments:

Brenda said...

Ok, so I didn't read the enire entry after reading your disclaimer, but I did check out the photos and it looks like you had an amazing time!

Heather said...

I read the whole thing, and I can't believe there is more!!

Kaden wants to go to Disneyland so bad... maybe sometime soon.

Amy said...

I can't even imagine how much you guys packed into your ten days! Did you even get a chance to read like you had planned?! I'm so sorry Spencer missed seeing you today, but Sophie is just BARELY getting over being terribly sick and so it just didn't work out for me to load them up and get him to Pasco. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that he'll still be healthy on Thursday! Can't wait to see the rest of your pics and get all the details!

Deborama said...

Yeah! Your back. Sounds fun so far. Jocelyn will love the pics! She has been thinking of you.

Debie Spurgeon said...

Phew! What a fantastic trip.

You have created some long lasting memories for your children.

Jan said...

Kristen, do you need a vacation from that packed vacation. How fun.
See ya around.

tharker said...

So much fun! I love the picture of Hunter pooped out on the elevator floor. That kid is so stinking adorable! I also love Katlyn's face in her birthday picture. How fun to be serenaded from Lilo and Stitch!

Marilyn said...

What a fun trip! I am so glad you had the opportunity to get away!